A weekly digest of activity on GOXI
In a week where women were celebrated, NRGI showcased its efforts to strengthen women's participation in resource governance, Lynda Lawson highlighted women in the jewellery supply chain in Madagascar, Levin Sources and the Inter-Governmental Forum (IGF) reminded us "why we should foster economic independence for women in artisanal and small-scale mining," and GIZ is looking for a consultant on gender and the Kimberley Process.
Meanwhile, Patricia I. Vasquez separates the myth from the reality of China's true intentions behind the hundreds of billions of dollars it has poured into Latin America's oil and gas sector in the past decade.
In advance of OpenOil's full financial model of the deal signed by the Lebanese government with Total, Eni and the Russian firm Novatek for gas exploration, Johnny West shares a few observations. Hint: He recommends a deep breath.
The Columbia Center for Sustainable Investment shines its light on Tanzania's gas.
Publish What You Pay Indonesia commends a presidential decree on beneficial ownership and pushes for accelerated action.
A new IGF report highlights the pressing need for innovation in the mining sector, as "productivity has decreased by 30 per cent, commodity price fluctuations are squeezing profit margins, costs continue to rise and deposits are increasingly difficult and expensive to access."
Another post by the Forum goes deeper into innovation in renewable energy, with examples from Canada and Namibia.
And Jasmin Blessing shares a call by John H. Knox for the international community to recognize the human right to a healthy environment.
These and more jobs, blogs, photos, videos, and discussions on GOXI
- Kyle Wemple; Brand Strategist - Reflective Jewellery; Providence, RI, United States
- Cinderella Freifrau von Dungern; Senior Advisor - Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH; Beijing, China
- Anesu T. Dera; Student - Johannesburg, South Africa
- Aung Kyaw Soe; Manager - Extractives Programme; Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business (MCRB); Yangon, Myanmar
- Hilke Kracke; Intern - German International Cooperation - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit; Berlin, Germany
- Andrew Mathewson; Senior Social Responsibility and Risk Specialist - AECOM; Vancouver, Canada
- Kathleen Brophy; Program Officer, Accountable Development Finance - Oxfam America; Washington DC, United States
- IGF releases innovation in mining report - IGF Secretariat - Read
- How clean innovation is benefitting the mining sector - IGF Secretariat - Read
- UN expert calls for global recognition of the right to safe and healthy environment - Jasmin Blessing - Read
- Women in the jewellery supply chain in Madagascar - Lynda Lawson - Read
- Call for EOI: consultancy on gender & Kimberly process - Janne Kaiser-Tedesco - Read
- China, oil, and Latin America: Myth vs. Realty - Patricia I. Vasquez - Read
- Why we should foster economic independence for women in artisanal and small-scale mining - IGF Secretariat - Read
- Why we should foster economic independence for women in artisanal and small-scale mining - Levin Sources - Read
- Celebrating international women's day, NGRI works to strength women's participation in resources governance - Katarina Kuai - Read
- Lebanon's new gas contact: everyone just take a breath - Johnny West - Read
- International gas outlook and implications for developing Tanzania's gas - Nicolas Maennling - Read
- Indonesia's rules on beneficial ownership is momentum to accelerate the combat against corruption - Publish What You Pay Indonesia - Read
- Deloitte - Tracking the trends 2018: The growing need for measurable social outcomes - Alexandra Truchot - Read
- Jasmin Blessing; Free Online Course on Environmental Security and Sustaining Peace; Online; March 1- May 10, 2018 - RSVP
- Ellen De Keyser; Training in Resettlement as part of Impact Assessment; Durban, South Africa; March 15, 2018 - RSVP
- Cognition; ITRI International Tin Conference 2018; Budapest; April 23 - 25, 2018 - RSVP
Remember: Post a job as a blog and we'll do the rest
- Regional Director/Country Manager for Africa - EITI International Secretariat - Apply
- Country Manger/ Country Officer for MENA - EITI International Secretariat - Apply
- Validation Manager - EITI International Secretariat - Apply
- Communications Director - EITI International Secretariat - Apply
- Spanish speaking experts in the field of Extractive Industries - UNDP - Apply
- Specialist for Business Development and Negotiation Support - CONNEX Support Unit Secretariat (GIZ managed) - Apply
|Featured member - Olga Cherepanova
Olga Cherepanova is a multilingual socio-economist with a background in international development and 12 years of experience in the mining industry, including nine years of overseas work in South America (Chile, Peru, Colombia and Brazil). Areas of expertise include socio-economic vulnerability assessment, baseline studies, community conflicts, community-based resource management, gender, human rights, training and capacity-building.
(Information on featured members and organizations is based on content shared by members or publicly available information, sometimes edited for language and brevity, and should not be considered an endorsement by GOXI of any member's skills or experience.)
See who else is on GOXI
|Beyond GOXI: Books, news, papers and reports
- Countries evaluate actions to offset the effects of Trump's tariffs - Mining.com - Read
- INFOGRAPHIC: The mineral exploration roadmap - Visual Capitalist - See
- China spreads the love to all sources of energy, even hated coal - Bloomberg Quint - Read
- What's the closest real-world material to Black Panther's vibranium - Inverse Entertainment - Read